"Phasing out dental amalgam: An emerging need to eliminate mercury in products"
on 10 March at 17:00 CET
This side event focuses on disseminating information on dental amalgam and the feasibility of mercury-free alternatives, and their particular importance for children and women of childbearing age. It will also share knowledge of the amalgam amendments proposed by the African Region and the European Union and why the amendment is an important step toward achieving the Minamata Convention’s goal of protecting human health and the environment.
List of Speakers
• Dominique Bally, vice president for Africa, World Alliance for Mercury-Free Dentistry (Côte d’Ivoire)
• Dr. Christopher Kapeshi, president, Zambia Dental Association (Zambia)
• Dr. Aakansha Mehrotra, Toxics Link (India)
• María Cárcamo, vice president for Latin America, World Alliance for Mercury-Free Dentistry (Uruguay)
• Honorable Vicente (Vincentinho) Paulo da Silva, Federal deputy in Congress (Brazil)
• Honorable Rose Kabagyenyi, former Member of the Parliament of Uganda (Uganda)
• Yuyun Ismawati Drwiega, Senior Advisor of Nexus3, Jakarta, (Indonesia)
• Dr. Mohammad Khashashneh, Secretary General, Ministry of Environment, Government of the Kingdom of Jordan (Jordan)
• Shahriar Hossain, executive vice president, World Alliance for Mercury-Free Dentistry (Bangladesh)